Tune in for the latest about quilt events, Sweet Treasures, and other fun stuff. I truly hope this will be an interactive blog where we can share many thoughts and ideas. Have a blessed day ~ Terri

Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year! Join the Contest ~

First Post ~ Thanks so much for "tuning in" for this first post.  I've decided to join the blogging world.  I've really enjoyed bounching around and reading other blogs.  It's fun to see what people are doing and thinking.  I don't claim to be a writer but hope I can make this a fun venue for us to share ideas and thoughts.  Check back often.  I plan on having occasional contests, on line "show and tell", all sorts of stuff.  Feel free to pass this on to anyone you think would be interested.  You can also subscribe to the blog and then you'll always get the new posts.  Be sure to check out the first contest posted below.

Happy New Year everybody!  I hope you're holidays were full of special moments with special people.  I'm thankful for many of those moments this Christmas.  Especially with this little guy.  This is Sam.  My first grandbaby.  He's 7 months old and so very precious.





Does anybody enjoy putting away their Christmas decorations?  I love getting them out, enjoying the memories some of them represent, creatively decorating ...  but putting them away ~ such a chore.  While I was working on that "chore", here in the northern willamette valley we had a little surprise snow.  So I had a little fun by grabbing a few Christmas decorations and trying to get a good picture.  This is my favorite.  I LOVE snow!  We don't get it very often here so I try to make the most of it when we do.




While out to lunch with my mom, sister and niece we had a little chat about tidiness and organization and my niece shared this quote with us (thanks Molly):

Outer order contributes to inner calm.    by Gretchen Ruben

I love that simple quote.  It is so true.  So here's to creating a little order in our quilting world~

Contest  I'm often asked about how I organize my fabric.  I do have a system and thought I would share that with you.  But first the contest.  How do you organize your quilting/sewing/crafting supplies?  I want to hear your organizational ideas and tips.  Please leave a comment with your tip (or tips).  This could even be one of those ideas you've heard but are waiting for the perfect time to implement.  :-)     I want to hear from you.  February 1st I will place everyones name in a hat that has commented and one lucky participant will win a copy of each of the Sweet Treasures valentine patterns.  That's 3 different wallhanging patterns and a throw quilt.  All with a heart theme. Check them out ~
So don't forget to check back on the 1st of February where I'll post the name of the winner.

Terri's Fabric Organization System
1 ~ I'm a prewasher so first thing the fabric gets washed and dried.  It's important that either all or none of your fabric is prewashed so the two aren't mixxed in a project.  Touch it up with an iron if needed (good fabric that is pulled from the dryer right away won't be very wrinkly).
2 ~ I store my fabric in the plastic see through drawer units all lined up and stacked.  I like containers that fit together. This is the best utilization of space.  I also want my fabric covered so it doesn't get dusty.
3 ~ All fabric pieces that are 1 yd or less are grouped by color in the drawers.  With these exceptions: 
   a ~ I have drawers that have specific fabric lines in them if I think I may want to coordinate with another project.
   b ~ Holiday or seasonal fabrics are grouped by holidays and seasons.  Each having its own drawer (s).
   c ~ Flannel has its own drawers.
   d ~ Novelty fabrics has its own drawer.
4 ~ Fabric pieces that are larger than 1 yd are folded and stored on a shelf so that the folded edge of each piece is visible making locating what I'm looking for easy or I can "shop" and try out options.
5 ~ Fabric pieces that are smaller than 1/4 yd (these are usually leftovers after a project is finished)
   a ~ I cut the width of fabric pieces into 2 1/2" strips.  They are all housed in drawers.
   b ~ The smaller pieces I cut into 3 1/2" squares which are also in a drawer.

I always try to organize the leftovers as soon as a project is completely done.  (That's binding and all).  I have to admit, right now I have a basket of leftovers I need to organize ... I'll get that done.  Customize your leftovers to whatever size pieces you like to use most.  There are so many patterns written for 2 1/2" strips right now, that's a good size.  5" squares would be good to.  If you do applique you probably save smaller pieces than I would.  My rule I made for mayself is ~ if I can't cut a 3 1/2" square out of it--it goes.  That's just my rule.  By sticking to that it keeps scraps under control.

Last but not least I have rectangular baskets I put the projects I'm currently working on in.  Since I may work on a number of different projects on any given week it's nice to corral everything I need for each project in a basket. 

So, that's how I organize my stash. Now it's your turn.  Send in your ideas.

I hope and pray 2010 will be full of happy days and many blessings for each of you.  (Oh ~ and lots of quilting!!)

Blessings~Terri





Labels: , , , , ,